Monday, November 9, 2009

All in a Name

Just lil' ol Baby D dropping in to say "hey ya'll"!

Chris loves this pic because he thinks it looks like Baby D is headbutting the placenta. I love this picture because a) it looks as though Baby D has finally grown into his or her head b) the EDD stamp reminds us that we made it through the 1st trimester (whoooo!), and c) it was taken seconds before Baby D looked up and started clapping his or her hands in jubilation that we were sneaking a peak at him or her.

Speaking of he/she/him/her/his/her/it, our quest to find the perfect baby name has spiraled into hilariousness. We thought we had it all figured out. We had our solid boy name. We had our solid girl name. Then we decided to broaden our horizons and peruse baby names just for kicks. We are now officially dazed and confused. Here's hoping something jumps out at us or else we will be those parents being discharged from the hospital with Baby John or Jane Doe. Thankfully Hubs just reminded me (for the 3rd time this week) that we have 26 weeks to figure these kind of things out :)

What cracks me up is how we women feel the need to "own" baby names 15 years before we carry the very children we will be naming. You know you're guilty of it. I am. We all are. Seriously, step on someones baby name and you might as well step on a stick of dynamite.

My "owned" names have always been Nolan Wyatt (for a boy) and Harper Grace (for a girl). I briefly "owned" Jonah for a boy and Addison for a girl but both have since been taken. I'm recovering. I am also "leasing" the following lists of names just for kicks.

Boys, in no particular order, with accompanying comments from the peanut gallery:

Nolan Wyatt (Nolan has always been Chris' top pick; Wyatt was my sweet Mama Potts' maiden name)
Jackson (Chris loves the idea of having a little "Jack"; I grew up in a city called "Jackson"...both good points...)
Tyler (I like names spelled with 'y's, what can I say?)
Mason (another contribution from Hubs--he's all into history and has researched the Free Masons with passion over the past few years; I like it because I drink my sweet tea from a mason jar, no other way)
Carter (how stinkin' cute is "Carter"?? And like 'y's, I have a thing for 'er's' on the ends on names)
Cooper (LOVE this one, it's another "er" name, and the double 'o's are super fun too...only downside is that he might be nicknamed "Pooper" and that's just bad)
Parker (and again...the 'er' gets me)
Logan (I guess we could potentially mark this one off the list because we don't have a solid reason for liking it between the two of us, but isn't it cute??)

Girls:

Harper Grace (Harper is a family name that I just adore; Grace has always been my girl middle name...there's not another name in my mind that sums up what having a little one is all about...)
Riley (our girl version of "Tyler"--love the 'y'!)
Madison (because I would love, love, love to have a little girl and call her "Maddi Paddi" and it humors Hubs fascination with president names)
Kennedy (goes great with "Grace" and again humors the whole presidential ruckus)
Isabella (lots of cute nickname possibilities...always important)
Ella (rhymes with "Bella" which is short for "Isabella", both of which make me happy)
Madelyn (could totally be a little "Maddi Paddi" as well! That, coupled with the 'y' makes this one twice as much a possibility.)

To be honest, Chris has a TON of other names that didn't quite make it onto the mutual baby name list. His thing for Presidents' names dictates his list of top favs. Included, but not listed above, are: Theodore, Abraham, Woodrow, and Franklin. I ask, why not "Ulysses", "Millard", or "Grover" then? Thankfully we agree on Kennedy, Carter, Madison, Tyler, and Jackson. I picked them because they are adorable. He thought I picked them because they are presidents' names. Riiight. Score!

Votes? Comments? Ideas? As I sign off I can't help but wonder, did I step on any sticks of dynamite by publishing our lists??!


2 comments:

  1. i totally understand "owning" the rights to a name. since i was a child i knew i was going to name my daughter 'mary margaret' and then i "owned" 'lawson' (which someone i know has already used...GRR!). and like you, i LOVE LOVE LOVE 'grace'. it's my grandmother's name and our next girl will definitely have that in her name. i've always loved 'gracie bea', but then i like 'lena grace'...who knows?! and then i like delaney or sloan.
    who knows for the next one?!?!?!
    as far as your names... LOVE harper and kennedy graces. LOVE cooper. i know it's my last name and what i call my husband (all his friends call him 'cooper' instead of daniel), but i just LOVE it. i hope mary margaret names one of her sons that one day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name options! I have mine but rarely tell people my faves in fear that someone will take them. I especially love Harper Grace and Kennedy for a lil girl! I love all of your boy names; my nephew is Mason! I think you know Katie Atcheson. She just had a lil boy names Nolen Robert. I think you and Chris have great options! You can't go wrong with any of them!

    ReplyDelete