Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Perinatologist Wrap Up

30 week perinatologist wrap up: Super Coop weighs in at an estimated 3 pounds 14 ounces. "Fabulous!", I commented. That was until Dr. Stone informed me that 30 weekers should weigh right at 3 pounds.

While we are 30 weeks based on when we think we conceived, Baby is measuring between 31 1/2 weeks and 32 1/2 weeks. This coupled with the fact that I failed my glucose test causes need for return visit to the peri at 33 weeks. Then again at 37 weeks.

Dr. Stone promised me a box of Girl Scout Cookies (or was it 1 Girl Scout cookie?) if I pass my next glucose test.

I am absolutely terrified of having a big baby.

I am clinging to 2 things: 1) They (read: medical professionals) are frequently waaay off with weight/size guestimates, right!? 2) Super Coop will come when he is good and ready. His Daddy came at 34 weeks and weighed almost 7 pounds. Had he stayed in the oven, he would have been pushing double digits.

Nothing wrong with wishing for a late April baby (as opposed to a May 4th baby) who is a normal healthy weight, right!? This statement is largely inspired by the current size of my enormous cankles and the piercing pain in my ribs where Baby Cooper is trying to rearrange organs to make more room for himself. It is also driven by fear of delivering a mammoth-sized baby.

Secretly I am just chomping at the bits to meet our sweet boy. Chubby cheeks and all :)

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to meet Sweet Cooper! Holden is going to have a little.... or large play mate and he will be just as cute either way! HA! Like I told you before, they were WAY off in guessing how big he was saying he weighed in at 8-9lbs at my 36 1/2 week check up and at 38 1/2 he was only 7lbs 7oz! Even the doctor in the delivery room said he was big! He was wrong. But hey, there is nothing wrong with bigger babies they are just as stinkin cute : ) As long as he is healthy who cares right!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. big babies are sooooo cute. Our doctor was right on with Lauren at 6lbs 6 oz but I was VERY lucky because our OB does ultrasounds every single appt. and only bills your insurance for the standard 2. I think that's how they knew as they saw her, literally, all the time. His cheeks are soooo freakin cute by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mm weighed 5.35lbs at 31 weeks. at 34 weeks she weighed 6.96lbs (off the charts as far as percentiles go). she was so large that even if i hadn't had pre-e i still would have had to deliver via c-section.
    what they didn't really emphasize to me is that she was off the charts in femur length too. at 37.5 wks she was born weighing 8lbs and 21" long. one day earlier they said she weighed 8lbs 4oz...so they were just 1/4lb out.
    i say all this to say unless your little man is measuring as big as mm there won't be talk of a c-section. also, even though i was on 4 insulin injections/day she was born with NO sugar issues. the only things they worry about are shoulder width so they don't get hung/broken and being hypoglecemic once they're born.
    if you EVER need to talk about gd, please don't hesitate. i lived and breathed the ada diet, 7 sugar checks, 2 different kinds of insulin for 11 weeks. i know all about the different nst's and bpp's they give you and what the different stats mean (afi levels, etc).
    anyway, i'm here for you if you need ANYTHING. :-)

    ReplyDelete