Saturday, March 12, 2011

Intervention

I started getting crabby this past week. It just kind of snuck up on me. I blame it on the return trip to the oncologist and bank account debacle, but really, there's just no excuse. I found myself worried about silly things and forgetting just how many blessings surround me each and every single day.

So I decided to take action.

I thought about doing some retail therapy but remembered that all I have left in my wallet is my Old Navy card, and well, that just wouldn't do.

So I bought myself a teeny tiny little notebook. Oober doober cute, straight from the dollar bin at Staples.

In true geekazoid fashion, I gave myself a homework assignment. Each day I write the date on the top of the page and challenge myself to write 3 things I am thankful for, 3 "I wills", and 3 "to-dos".

It has been life-changing.

I am a list kind of girl. I just love them. I really do.
1. Because they are fun to write. 2. Because I love any excuse to use funky patterned note pads and Sharpie felt-tip pens. 3. Because I have the memory of a 90 year old. 4. Because I love to check things off and cross things out. 5. Because I was born Type A trapped in a wanna-be Type B's body. and 6. Because sometimes just making a list can just make you feel oh so good.

Today's entry looked something like this:

I am thankful for:
1. The word 'remission'.
2. Saturdays.
3. Fried green tomatoes.

I will:
1. Not go through the drive thru at Chick-fil-a for a tea.
2. Play on the floor with Cooper in the playroom past our bedtimes.
3. Not worry, talk about, complain about, or carry-on about the bank fraud. (Enough already. I only mention it here for the sake of sharing my list).

To do:
1. Clean master bath floors. Sidenote: *We moved into our house on December 30th. It is March the 12th and the floors have never seen the bottom of my swiffer pad. It is time.
2. Load dishwasher. *Must start somewhere, right?
3. Clean off dresser. *Confiscated items included: nail clippers, a Santa Claus onesie, 2 coat hangers, and 5 mix-matched socks.

Rules about this self-help intervention project:
1. You are NOT, in fact, allowed to put something on the "to do" list portion of the list simply for the sake of marking it off the list. I am queen of adding things to my to-do list that I have already done, just so I can mark them off. Blush.
2. You can be thankful for things both big and small. One day I was thankful for bellybuttons because, well, Cooper's is just so darn cute and I couldn't stop thanking God for giving him to us, bellybutton and all.
3. When it comes to the "I wills"...you may not make this another list of "to dos". These have to be personal goals for the day, not just 1, 2s, and 3s of silly things to get done.
4. You may not get so overwhelmed by your list of to-dos that you fill out that portion of the assignment ahead of schedule, for every day in the book.
5. If finding yourself crabby and thankfulness-less, you must complete the exercise twice for the day. Three times if you remain in the same state of disheveled-messiness.

So there you have it. My mood is a gazillion times better.

I am thankful. I am crabby-no-more. I am once again walking barefoot across our bathroom floor.

So tell me, what WILL YOU, DO, and be THANKFUL for?

2 comments:

  1. This is really cute! I am totally going out and getting a notebook! You should check out this blog http://iammommahearmeroar.blogspot.com/ it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to get started!! :)

    PS - I also look for any excuse to make lists, use sharpies, and find cute note pads! :)

    ReplyDelete