Wednesday, September 7, 2011

W

Is it possible to love one day of the week more than all of the other days? If so, I am having an affair with Wednesdays. I simply can't get enough of them. They are my zen. My harmony. My entire rhythm of the week is set by gloriousWednesday. Besides being smack dab in the middle of the week and being spelled with that ironic "dnes" business, I just love them.

Wednesday means I get to sleep in. Coop too. (Sorry Dada). Wednesday means I get to snuggle and watch Chuggington and Dinosaur Train with my little Love. Wednesday means I get to feed Coop his pancakes and yogurt. Oh yea. Wednesday means pajamas til noon. Wednesday means I don't dry my hair after my shower because Coop, Woody, and Buzz need me for a skit and hair can wait. Wednesday means trips to the splash park, the store, the mall, the bank, the dry cleaners, the pharmacy, the library, the post office, and Chickfila (who'm I kidding, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday mean trips to Chickfila too). Wednesday means Coop and I chase each other around the dining room until the garbage truck comes. Wednesday means pressing our noses to the front glass screeching "tuh!" "tuh!" as we watch the little men take away the weeks' mess in the giant, smelly truck.

Wednesday means a ride on the "whore". Um, Cooper. It's "HorSe", silly.
"Gee-uh, whore, gee-uh". (Translated: Giddy up, horse. Giddy up.")

Wednesday, I love you. I treasure you. I adore you.

When we heard that our small group was moving to Wednesdays, it was like the stars aligned for us. It's our best day of the week. We can count on all being together (and home) before 8pm. Chris is working like crazy these days and it's nothing short of a miracle when he pulls in the drive before bed and bath time. We were oh so happy. We LOVE our small group. They are just the best people in all the world. We missed out last semester because we had just moved (to the boonies) and we couldn't make the drive out to Harbins on a week/work night. We were so sad. Deflated. We just felt weird. Like we were walking around in our underpants. With no watch on. That kind of weird.

When we got word that the group had changed days back to Thursday, we sat and pouted. Kidding, we were crushed. Just crushed. But since we know egocentrism has it's place in preschool, but not in adulthood, we pulled ourselves together and finally took a hard look (and listen) at something God has been stirring within us for over a year now. It's not about us. It's not about what day of the week is cooler (gimme a W. gimme a E.) It's not about what's comfortable. It's not about what is easy.

We instantly knew God was moving us in a different direction. We had been wrestling with something for a long time. We kept pushing it away. Pretending it was a message for someone else, somewhere else, some time else.

We're grabbing the bull by the horns and starting a new small group this semester. We're calling it "When Big Things Happen to Small Groupers." Complete with Toss the Tissue Night and glimpses into God's grace in tough times and laughter and pizza rolls and prayer chains. We have been inspired by so many special people who have developed "blue jean faith" in the midst of chaos and we just can't miss out on this opportunity. We wrote and re-wrote the email we sent last night a dozen times. We kept waiting for God to tell us now's not the time. He never did.

We are praying for an incredible semester. We can't wait to see what He has in store for us. And I sure do thank him for Wednesday. (gimme a D. gimme a N.)

2 comments:

  1. i'd love to be in y'all's small group (we did one with our friends brett + lane moore last year @ 12stone)...but guess what night doesn't work? yep, wednesdays--we have wednesday night "sunday school" at our church. BUT if the day of the week ever changes just let us know b/c i'd love to be a part of it! (like how i'm inviting myself? ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish we were closer...I would love to be in your small group!! I'm sure it will all be wonderful...just like Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete