Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Silence

I have spent a week in silence. It's all because of this whole "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" business.

I'm all discombobulated. It started when Chris got to fly home for 24 hours this weekend but the notsotrustyold Jeep broke down on Metropolitan and then again on Freedom Parkway. He landed at 6:30 on Friday. It took him until 1:20am to drive the blasted hunk of metal home. If it weren't for Homeless Eddie and his magical bag of tools stashed behind the Atlanta Fire Department in the hood, he might not have even made it at all.

I got sick. Cooper got sick. My work schedule went topsy turvy. Chris' travel schedule is INSANE over the next two months. I'm talking like crazy insane. Like I need a golden retriever and mommy's helper insane. He's in NYC, Chicago, Minneapolis, DC, Texas. Everywhere but home. He's always traveled but all of a sudden it's lost its shimmer and shine. He's sad, I'm sad, and Cooper is walking in circles shrieking DADA! He walks to the luggage in the closet and says DADA. He stands at the shower door and says DADA. He hangs from the vacuum cleaner and says DADA (have I ever mentioned that Chris is the mack daddy vacuumer??! Without prompting he fires the Dyson up and swivels it all around making those pretty lines in the carpet. It's true. I am blessed.)

So, re-reading this has made me realize that I am a big old baby. Time to dig out the big girl panties and deal with it. Chris is healthy and we have our sweet baby Coop and the rest is just details.

Sad that I spent the week in silence, after all.

What I did not do, was spend the car ride home today in silence. Cooper hadn't napped all day, so I had to whip out my opera singing and flash dance car hands to keep him awake so that he would sleep when we got home. I sang the Wheels on the Bus for 15 minutes. He kept saying "moh!" "moh!", so I decided to make up some new verses. His favorite was:

The Dentist on the bus says open your mouth, open your mouth, open your mouth. The Dentist on the bus says open your mouth, all through the town. *Insert digression. When are we supposed to take little people to the dentist for the first time?? I've heard conflicting info. Suggestions?*

The zipper on the bus goes zip, zip, zip. Zip, zip, zip. All through the town.

The Butcher on the bus goes chop, chop, chop. Chop, chop, chop...

I <3 Wednesdays, remember?



1 comment:

  1. girl, i totally get this post too. on oct. 1st it will be one year that cooper has lived in b'ham 5 nights/week. hopefully only 2-5 months left. hopefully.
    i feel like i'm the mom, dad, maintenance man, etc. and it's hard. and then when he is home we push so much into our little time together.
    so stressful.
    but this is just a season...i keep telling myself that over and over.
    praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete