Sunday, November 20, 2011

My apologies BCBS. God had a hand in that.

We are habitual food eaters. We find a food, latch on, and hang on for dear life. We know in our hearts that the world is full of wonderful things, but we stick to what we know and we stick to it well. We are quite loyal, after all. Oh, and by we, I totally mean I. It just feels better to include Chris in my neuroses.

We go to Rico's on Kids Eat Free night every.single.Tuesday. I order the same exact thing, the same exact way. every. single. time. Fried Green Tomato Salad with a side of remoulade. When I was preggo with the Coopster, Chris trucked it up to Mimi's Cafe every.single.Saturday.morning. Breakfast Ciabatta, hold the tomato, extra remoulade on the side.
You did what, Mama? I knew there was a reason I crave that yummy sauce. You're crazy.
Before church every Sunday, we go to Bagels and More. SHAMELESS PLUG. The sweet couple who runs this place stole my heart from our very first visit where the wife apologized multiple times for being sold out of Swiss Melt bagels. We didn't even know what we were missing. Oh but now we do. Cheddar Herb bagel for me, chocolate chip muffin cake for Coop and Dada and Yoohoo drinks all around.

So Blue Cross got their act together on Friday afternoon at 2:40. Just in time to reschedule Chris' PET for tomorrow morning.

It's ok though because this morning at church we found out why it got cancelled in the first place. God needed to move a mountain. Ok, that's dramatic.  He needed to move a mole hill. The week before Chris got diagnosed last Spring, 12 Stone did this crazy thing at the end of a Sunday mornin' service where people could go down front and be prayed over. Chris was out of town (you know the trip where he ended up getting the call). Coop was just an itty bitty thing. So itty bitty he was curled up on my shoulder snoozing as we rocked out in worship. Going "up front" for anything is SO far beyond my comfort zone. So far. Remember the time I played "Silent Night" for the offertory and blurted out "Oh Shit" when I missed a note? Or the time I made Colleen Gardner give my testimony for me because I couldn't even imagine getting up in front of our church of 50 people?

Before I knew what I was doing that Sunday morning last Spring, I found myself toting Coop up to the front and pouring out my cries for God's grace to the prayer team. We prayed for the biopsies and scans to be clean. We cried out to God to hear our pleas for Chris' health.

4 days later, we got the news that he had cancer.

We knew the entire time that the glory was going to go to God, we just didn't know how or when. He saw us through every single step of the way. He drew us closer as a couple, stronger as a family, humbler (is that even a word) in our walk. He poured strength over Chris, sweetness over Baby Cooper, and grace over me to be the wife He was calling me to be.

This morning our message was on Supernatural Healing. The words poured out of Kevin Queen and straight into our hearts. We sang praises to God over and over for bringing us this far and for never leaving us. We praised him for health and for hair and looked out into the congregation and praised him for two of Chris' kudzu nurses, who have since started coming to our church. At the end of the service, they did it again.

The message was geared specifically at those struggling with illness. Kevin opened the invitation for those of us going through difficult health related things to come down front and to be prayed over. Family after family humbly walked down front. Middle aged men, older women, itty bitty children. The tears just streamed down my face, knowing exactly what they are feeling. Knowing exactly the fears they are facing. Once the crowds stopped and the service ended, we made our way down front to thank our prayer warriors for their unending prayers and to pray for God's presence and continued healing as Chris goes for his PET scan in the morning.

The book of Mark tells us "Do not be afraid. Just believe".

So there you have it. God and Blue Cross Blue Shield are in cahoots. And I sure am thankful for that.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I stumbled upon your blog on Kelly's Korner. I too unfortunately posted my blog on the same post. I so sorry for your loss.

    I have been randomly reading various posts when I came upon this one! It is a small world! My husband and I go to 12 Stone as well. I spoke about this very sermon in one of my blog posts as well.

    http://mckinleygrace.blogspot.com/2011/11/healing.html

    Your blog is awesome!

    ReplyDelete