Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Tall Glass of Water


So I have apparently landed myself in the non-caffeinated loony bin.

Here's how I arrived there:
1) I discovered that I drink approximately no less than 4 Cokes/Dr. Peppers/Starbucks Iced Coffees/Sweet Teas per day. All day. Every day.
2) Although I feel extremely guilty about this little caffeine infiltrated addiction, I continue to blow right past these guilty feelings and suck down the little boogers one after the other.
3) My dentist continues to ask me why I haven't considered whitening my teeth. Nothing personal, I'm sure. Just doing his job.
4) I ran across the following challenge last night. Being driven by my need to be competitive in all things ridiculous, I have decided that I can totally break free of my caffeine addiction and become healthier, happier, and less hippier by simply replacing my teeth-staining, belly-broadening drinks with water/crystal light/Propel.
5) Besides spinning class, I can't remember the last time I drank a glass of water. Seriously.

Those of you who know me know that I have attempted to kick the Coke habit at least a dozen times over the past year. Each time I make it a couple of hours and then have a total melt-down and run for the Chick-fil-a drive thru in hopes of curbing the craving with something fizzy and bubbly. Complete with purple bendy straw, not the red, wide, straight one that most of you probably deal with without hesitation.

Not this time. It has been 24 hours and I have consumed not one sip of Co-Cola. I did not have my 6:30am Dr. Pepper on the way to work. Or my late afternoon Starbucks iced coffee.

Confession: I did have one glass of sweet tea at lunch today while discussing this crazy plan with my friend Meredith. We decided that sweet tea might not count. Baby steps, baby steps.

I decided that if I blog about it, maybe I will have some sense of accountability and finally kick the habit for good.

In the meantime, here is my Top Ten list of favorite meals that go wonderfully with a nice tall glass of Co-Cola:

1) Mellow Mushroom Pizza
2) Chick-fil-a Chicken Strips
3) Chick-fil-a Sandwiches
4) Chick-fil-a Nuggets
5) Chick-fil-a Chicken Biscuits
6) All things Hibachi
7) Cheese Dip, Chicken Nachos, and Guacamole at Monterrey's
8) Moo Moo Mr. Cows at Moes
9) All things Subway, Quiznos, and/or Firehouse
10) Yum Yum Rolls/Utage Special Rolls
Looks like I have a lot of work to do.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with that! I fell onto your web after clicking "next blog" from my site that I lovingly journal my family life for our family and friends in Holland (http://jagersfamilyusa.blogspot.com/)

    I drink 8-12 cans a day-for years! Can you believe it? I am afraid to stop because I think that my entire system would be out of whack and some rare disease would plague me!

    So, I wish you well with your pursuit.

    BTW-my favorite combo is at the movies: DC, M&M's and Doritos. Yum! Or fresh Mickie D's fries with an ice cold one.

    I do sound like and addict. EEk! Good luck!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only time I have ever been caffine free was when I was pregnant. I wish you luck. Really, I do!

    ReplyDelete