Thursday, October 8, 2009

Puppy Dogs, Rainbows, and Sugar Plums

10 weeks! Whoa Nelly. Had to pull out the ridiculous pregnant lady hands for this pic because the first 7 shots we took made me look like a whale.

A busy 10th week it has been! We are still flying high from the news of Chris' new job. It is absolutely amazing to see God's provision for us and to know that He is the giver of all gifts. I have alternated between shouting for joy and sitting in complete silence and awe over the past few days.

In my excitement in my last post, I failed to mention any details about the job, so here goes: He starts Monday. It's with a marketing firm in Roswell (Leader Enterprises). Although it is a big corporation, it's also a Christian-based company, run by Christian folks (who have told Chris that they are most excited about his upcoming transition to fatherhood). The salary is more than we could have asked for and they also offer a great benefit package. (See, this is why we are in awe of God's goodness...)

There will be some travel involved but NOTHING like the old days of Ogden Design. He will fly instead of driving across country (resulting in shorter trips AND frequent flyer miles) and will build back up his Marriott Rewards Points (yay beach trips!). His hours will be 8:30-5:30 and the commute is a little hairy, but if that's all we have to worry about, we're doing mighty fine!

We've toyed around with the idea of looking for a house somewhere in between Suwanee and Roswell to help ease the commute, but are taking things slow and livin' in the now, for now :)

I tried to buy Hubs some new pens, a new shirt, and a new alarm clock to celebrate Monday morning, but he insists that he doesn't need any of those silly things. I will make him a cookie cake instead. Boys love food.

Now for a random question/thought to ponder...at our small group last night we got into a discussion about private schools vs. public schools.

We are all young couples on the brink of entering parenthood (with the exception of a few who have already taken the plunge). The overall decision was that private schools waaaay outweigh public schools. I was the only one who sat quietly picking at my plateful of "Cereal Mountain" (more to come on that yummy goodness later). For some reason, I don't necessarily think that public schools are evil. I understand the caution with which people regard a public school education, but I honestly don't think that private schools are immune to the "crazy shenanigans" that go on in public schools.

One point that was made is that parents of kids in public school just don't care about the well being of their children. Another point was that public schools are full of hood looms and weirdos. Ok, true, but do you really want your child to be sheltered from the very variety of people that live in this world? It makes me a little sad to think that, as a parent, you might want your child to be surrounded only by like-minded people.

I don't know. It just kind of bothered me. I feel like if you take an active role in raising your children and strive to instill a firm foundation in them, that they can thrive in any situation (not only when placed in ideal situations). Am I loony tunes? Is it because I went to public school myself? Will my feelings change upon meeting our own child/children? Why am I still thinking about this conversation 12 hours later?

Thoughts?

This Week's News:

Food Cravings: Ok. Fingers crossed that we are over the yacky feeling stretch. My yack-o-meter tells me this because I have eaten 5 mayonnaise, ketchup, and salt and vinegar Pringle sandwiches in the past 3 days. I'm sure this has nothing to do with my new beached whale image. Seriously. I can't get enough of these sweet, salty, crunchy beauties. Mmm. The most psychotic part is the smiley face I draw using the ketchup. I tried just squeezing it out but you have to be careful because too much ketchup on a mayo, ketchup, and chip sandwich is just gross. The smiley face measures out just the right amount of ketchup.

Emotional Basketcase Moment: Coming home on Tuesday night to learn that Chris landed his new job. Talk about complete emotional basketcase--months of emotion all came tumbling out (in a good way, of course...not the sobbing uncontrollably kind of way).

I did however, sob uncontrollably on the way home from Mexican night this week at Monterrey. I witnessed the MOST heartbreaking scene I have ever, ever seen in a public place and I just can't stop thinking about it...a young woman sitting near us with her 2-3 year old little girl sat drinking a pitcher of Margaritas by herself. About 30 minutes into our cheese-dip and salsa, a man comes storming in and started screaming at the lady. She quietly told him that she would be filing for a divorce (why they chose to have this conversation in a public place AND in front of their child both saddens me and terrifies me--if the man treated her this way in public, I can't imagine what goes on behind closed doors.) He called her all sorts of horrible names, told her she was a complete failure, and left her at the table.

Chris had walked outside to meet our family members who were meeting us and I honestly didn't know what to do. The woman scooped up her daughter and I leaned over and asked what I could do to help. She burst into tears and said that she would be ok. Apparently the man took off in the car only to come screeching back up to get her moments later. It made me feel so bad. I've never experienced such sudden compassion for a complete stranger in all my life. I noticed that they had left their check (unpaid) on the table and decided the least I could do was pay their bill. The waiter (who I've known since I was 15) wouldn't let me pay it for them. He witnessed the whole thing too and was just beside himself. I cried the whole way home for that family. I still wish there was something I could do...

Hormonal Rage Currently Directed At: No rage. Only puppy dogs, rainbows, and sugar plums :)

Currently Grateful For: being brought to (and through) the last 14 months so that we could learn what it means to be still and wait. Wouldn't trade it for anything.


1 comment:

  1. You have a belly! You MUST be helping push it out!!

    My thoughts exactly on the private vs. public school thing. I would love to send my children to private school if we have money to throw at it, but I have also always believed that taking an active role in what they learn and doing MY job as a parent will overcome. If you send your child off to public school and it in and of itself causes their worldview to change into something you never intended for them, then you are asleep at the wheel.

    ReplyDelete