Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cooped Up

5 things I have realized since embarking upon my bed rest journey:
1. Picture frames get dusty. Especially enormous ones that hang high above your bed.
2. I have approximately 43 pairs of shoes in the floor of our closet. I would try to downsize, but each pair tells a unique story (i.e. shoes I wore on our wedding day, shoes I ran 1/2 marathon in, shoes I wore to my grandmother's funeral, flip flops I wore nonstop during summer at Camp Seafarer in Outer Banks...). Solution: begin blueprints for expanding master closet.
3. Online Rummikub can make a girl happy. Losing 12 games in a row causes increased contractions.
4. Maddie Bug Baby has some mighty fine monogrammed treats. What can I say, online shopping is one vice that does not break bed rest rules.
5. 1000 text messages per month is not enough when exciting things are happening. Cell phone providers are more than happy to upgrade your plan once they gasp at the amount of text messages you have sent in 48 hours. Explaining that the line does not belong to a 13 year old teeny bopper was a little embarrassing.

So we made it through the weekend with lots of rest, love, and TLC from our friends and family. We feel SO incredibly blessed! Lori and Courtney brought over 5 Guys and Krispy Kreme Friday night, the Davis' showed up with Applebee's Curbside Saturday night, and the Knoll's blessed us on Sunday night with King Ranch Chicken casserole, salad, and buttermilk pie (holy yumminess). Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your kindness means so very much to us!

Seriously, we feel SO loved (and spoiled rotten!)

I decided that I was "fine" and went to work on Monday. Made it through the day with intense contractions and tons of pressure but was determined to make it 10 hours, as if my life depended on proving my stubbornness to the world. Contractions continued until 2am this morning. By 6:30am we were up and on our way back to see Dr. Sermons. Things had calmed down considerably so I figured we were smooth sailing.

Not so much.

Dr. Sermons informed us that best case, Super Coop will make it to 37 weeks. He wants us to make it at least 3-4 more weeks but said he wouldn't bat an eyelash if baby boy graces us with his presence sooner. He said to adapt a "modified bed rest" plan of action but that he would like for the perinatologist to make the final call.

He packed us up and sent us right over to Dr. Stone at Northside. I was greeted with girl scout cookies, as promised, for passing the 3 hour glucose test. So yummy!

Cooper is measuring 35-36 weeks across the board--yay, healthy boy! The close up ultrasound pic of his face showed a pouty face (apparently he does not like being placed in time out). Although my cervix is cooperating (still only 1 cm), my uterus is not. Dr. Stone insisted on putting me on the fetal monitor (despite my reassuring him that everything had calmed down) and within 20 minutes, we had 10 contractions. Bad Cooper.

He placed me BACK on bedrest, lectured me, insisted that I quit my 2nd little piddly Wednesday job, and giggled at my stubbornness. When I do go back to work (please, please), I have to modify my hours/schedule. Thankfully I have been given a 1 day pass to attend my super fun baby shower on Saturday with my most favorite people at my most favorite place in all the world. Back to Northside next week to see what's next.

So it's just me and Judge Judy hanging out here at the Davis Den. Letting go of the work changes is going to take a small act of God (things are already super rocky with changes in the economy and overstaffing). Good thing our God is big enough to move mountains, even if they come in the form of workplaces like Children's Healthcare.

Tootles!

3 comments:

  1. girl, you sound just like me in the fall of '08. when they told me i had PIH at 20 wks i started doing my research and fould out it turned into PreE which meant early delivery or bedrest. but it certainly couldn't mean *ME*, could it? oh, yes, it did! it was such a big adjustment (and HUGE payloss) to go on bedrest at 26w 6d, but it was so worth it in the end to have a healthy me and a healthy baby. that doesn't mean it isn't hard...b/c bedrest is the HARDEST thing ever. at least you know he's lungs are pretty good b/c you're what--34 weeks?--and you've had those steriods. i remember reading at 34-35wks there is only 12-15% of babies born who have complications (i studied statistics like it was my job--haha!)...and that's pretty good news, don't you think?
    if you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to ask. i didn't sweep/vaccum/mop my floors for NINE weeks. if you need someone to do that for you, please don't hesitate to email me and i'll come over w/a broom...i know how all you do is notice the dust/dirt/etc. when you're laying there on your left side. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking this kid! Not even born yet and being a pain in the ass! :-)

    Do you need something to do? I can throw you a few servers to remote into...

    Things are moving along here too... plans changed today so we need to try to sync up our deliveries so I can be in town in time.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny. Will you kill me if I say enjoys these last few weeks/days? Life will never be the same...but in a good way. Watch plenty of tv and get plenty of sleep!

    ReplyDelete