Friday, June 1, 2012

BPPV, the Truffle Shuffle

So apparently I am not totally crazy. I'm only half crazy.

Went to the doc and they induced my crazy falling over, room spinning, eyes jumping psychoness. It was a sight.

Apparently I have something called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo or in case you have no clue what that is or how to say it, BPPV. In a nutshell, tiny crystals in my inner ear have (for no good reason) dislodged and migrated to other parts of my ear. There they lay, irritating tissues, hitting nerves, and interfering with signals from my brain.

The result, lots of falling over, sweating, spinning, whirring nights.

Shoowee, it's some kind of weird. It can come and go without reason and has no real known cause.

Until it packs it bags and gets to walkin, I am sleeping sitting straight up, armed with drugs that apparently don't do much except for put your lights out. If it keeps up, I'll go see a vestibular doc at Emory.

But at least I'm not crazy.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are not crazy...but that whole ear thing sounds pretty nuts!! Hope those crystals pack up and hit the road soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. You should have one of the audiologist at children's do epley and semont exercises with you. It will move the particles back where they should be!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali I work with a PT that is specialized in treating BPPV. She is on outpatient at Atlanta Medical Center. You need to see her. Get a MD script for outpt PT and get in with Britta Smith. She does a great job.

    ReplyDelete