Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tater Salad

I found two receipts wadded up in my cup holders this morning. $71.29 at the Shell Station and $69.60 at Kroger Fuel Centers. One was dated 7/30, the other 8/2.

Two receipts for two tanks of gas that have all but saved the day at the Davis house.

Something's wrong with Cooper.

I went to give him a hug yesterday and he all but fell out onto the floor. He screamed. He kicked. He growled. He hissed. He hollared. He threw himself on the floor and contorted his body into unrecognizable shapes. He pounded the floor. He wretched. He rared up. He scowled.

I, being a sensible and attentive mother, got right on the phone with the pediatrician to report that my child has suddenly developed a seizure disorder.

These episodes happened (no lie) 7 times within 30 minutes last night.

The only solution? Strap him into the carseat, blast big hair band music, and drive around in circles for hours. H-O-U-R-S.

It's. bad. I. mean. bad. Really. Bad. Just like that, my angelic little Super Coop has transformed into a crazed mad man. Capable of fits of epic proportions.

I drove around in circles last night, exhausted, drinking sweet tea, and praying that this will pass. And soon. My friend Jill laughed hysterically when I told her of this hope. Aye.

After several loops around Buford Dam and an unplanned inaugural trip to the public library (it was that bad y'all, that we ended up at the LIBRARY), he finally stopped bucking out of his car seat long enough to meet up for fam night at Rico's. We walked in, Coop's hair standing on end, my clothes half off, sweat pouring from my brow, to find...Ron White. And his mistress. Sitting right there. Watching as our freak show continued in the restaurant. Chris and I passed our relay baton back and forth with glee. We chased our monster around and around as he grabbed bottles of Ne-Hi soda from the drink display and banged on the front glass. To borrow from Kelly Stamps, I was CHAWED. Absolutely chawed.

Ron White walked up in his floral print shirt and old man sandals and told Chris "Now that right there's cute".

We are absolutely certain that we will be the topic of his next stand up routine.

So. Tell me, how in the WORLD do you effectively discipline 15 month olds???? We have ignored the tantrums. We have implemented time out. We have spanked (yes.). Other than purchasing a family set of straight jackets and hiding in our house until he turns 16, what oh what are we to do? I would so go purchase some ridiculous book on parenting, but I can't seem to corral him to the car without being hissed at and hollared at.

If anyone sees my sweet Super Coop, please send him right back to me.

3 comments:

  1. Oh the fun has just begun my friend! We're on day...wait I've forgotten...of the tantrum scheme. I'm hoping the magic terrible 2 fairy his about to take away all tantrums when he turns 3 in 2 short weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember these all too well.... I have to say that 3 was far worse than any day of 2. And, while they get older and you can try to reason (yes, you will try to reason with your child and it won't work) in the end... nothing seems to work. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three was the worst for us too...don't know what it is about that age. It's hard when you have these little ones who want to tell you what's going on, but don't have the means to do so in a way that us "grown ups" understand. So usually it ends up coming out in fits of craziness. We've all been there. I remember having to all but sit on my middle child to get him buckled into the car seat. By the time we got him in there, I was so tired I didn't want to go wherever it was we were going. The good news is...it will pass. However, by then it will be something else to keep you on your toes!! It's one grand adventure - and so worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete