Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Grace and Gratitude

Today I am consumed with the concept of gratitude.

On my list of personal virtues, I strive to place gratitude and grace at the very top.

I realize that I am blessed to find myself in a most grateful season of life right now. The blessings that surround me have never been made more apparent. My heart swells with thankfulness and my cup runneth over. Daily. Hourly. Minutedly. Secondly.

Some of the things I am thankful for are silly. Some are impossible to articulate. Some are trivial. Some are life-changing. Some are tangible. Some are not.

It's easy to express outward grace and gratitude when things are going your way. When things are easy-peasy. What never ceases to amaze me, is people who exude these entities even in the face of adversity. I am thankful for the people in my life who, by their own spirit and grace, remind me to be grateful. These sweet friends remind me that nothing in this world is to be taken for granted. Nothing.

An old Chinese proverbs reminds me: "When eating bamboo sprouts, remember the man who planted them".

How often do we focus on the bamboo sprouts in our life and fail to remember the man who planted them? I believe that the man who planted the bamboo sprouts deserves our utmost. I believe that sometimes we allow ourselves to become consumed with our bamboo sprouts and fail to offer up praises of gratitude.

So in remembrance and honor of the Farmer who has blessed, and continues to bless, us each and every day, tonight I am whispering up a prayer of thankfulness.

"I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." ~Gilbert Keith Chesterton

No comments:

Post a Comment